Tuesday, June 3, 2014

4th


Today is my Dad's 55th birthday and it just so happens that E also turns 4 months old today! She had her 4 month check-up today; here are her stats:

Weight: 14 lbs 12 oz
Length: 24 inches
Head Circumference: 16 inches

E has been up to so much this month! She went on several walks with Mom, to the Lilac Festival, to Boston and to the pool for the first time!


She got a bumbo chair so she could sit up more while Mom and Dad's hands were busy, she borrowed a play mat from a friend and discovered she loved to grab and kick the toys, she cooked with Dad and snuggled with Mom.





E's voice grows busier everyday; she loves to talk! One day while she was on her tummy Mom got down on the ground next to her and made a growling noise. She smiled and made a noise back and then laughed a little. Mom laughed too and then growled again. E once again made a noise back and then she and Mom laughed some more.

She has been laughing more and more, especially at new experiences. She laughed the first time I bounced her on my knees, the first time doing "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes", the first time we make a new silly noise, the first time I spun her in a circle, the first time we helped her "jump" up and down (holding her under her armpits and lifting her up and down) and sometimes when we are just talking to her. Today I actually got somewhat of a good laugh on video!



E also found her thumb this month. For a while she would attempt to suck on the palm of her hand, but she finally figured out that the thumb was more effective at soothing! I didn't like her doing it at first, but soon learned that it is pretty common and most babies grow out of it on their own, so here's hoping she does!


E loves to look around at everything around her. But we are pretty sure her most favorite thing to look at is the light that is right about our dining room table. No matter where she is in the living room, or what she is doing, if she catches a glimpse of that lamp she stops, stares, smiles and often talks to it. We call it her love lamp.


She has also learned to push her hips up off the ground when she is lying on her back. This typically leads to her scooting and we often find that she has scooted off her play mat! E has also started to pivot while on her tummy and of course she continues to roll from tummy to back. Back to tummy hasn't happened yet, but she lifts her feet up more and more and loves to kick.



E continues to be a very happy girl, just like she continues to be a very poopy girl! In fact today right before her doctor's appointment, she was sitting in her Bumbo and started to make some noises. After she sounded like she was done, I picked her up to change her and a little poop had escaped up the back of her diaper. I changed her and headed to her appointment. When we got there, I took her out of the carseat and sat her on my knee. I was just about to feed her when she started to make more noises, then I noticed that my hand was wet. I checked her diaper flaps and they were all clear, but then I turned her around and sure enough, the majority of the diaper's contents where on her back! Although slightly gross, I still find it somewhat amusing, and it's a good thing because today's experience was nothing compared to the one in Boston or the one in church.




E loves a nice breeze. Whether I am blowing in her face or there's a breeze while out on a walk or we roll down her window, she really seems to enjoy the wind.

E also seems to really enjoy story time! She seems to be looking at the pictures as we read and many times she will look up at us and coo.


Sometimes she is silly. Not only does she make awesome faces and laugh for no reason, but there have been times where I know she is hungry, but she refuses to nurse unless I hold her a specific way. Recently her position of choice has been on her tummy! I don't know how nursing while laying on your stomach could possibly be comfortable or effective, but sometimes that's the only way. Mind you this is fairly rare, but it happened a few days in a row so it stuck out to us. Another thing I have noticed about nursing and even sleeping is that she is more easily distracted now. If there is something going on, she wants to be a part of it, or at least sit up and see what is happening. She would rather be a little hungry or sleepy than miss out on seeing what the noise is all about!






One characteristic that has become more apparent to me is E's ability to bring a calm joy to those around her. I remember feeling it when we first brought her home, but recently I have seen this effect on others. Matthew and I went to a concert that his work was putting on and an older woman sat next to us. Throughout the concert she would look over and talk with E and E would smile and coo back. At one point the woman even touched E's check and E grabbed onto a finger. You could tell that the woman really enjoyed E and that she was uplifted by her presence. Maybe it's just an effect that all babies have on people, but I know that her calm and happy nature will have an influence on others throughout her life.



Ole!






















Wearing one of my old dresses


1 comment: