Monday, June 9, 2014

E's Western Tour the Trilogy: Salt Lake City

We truly do have a phenomenal traveler on our hands. E has gone many places in her short life, but this was her first time flying! I was a little nervous because I was going at it alone because Matthew had classes and couldn't get away, but she did great! I fed her right before boarding our first flight and she slept most of the way. The only exception was right after the plane took off and she decided to fill her drawers. And as usual these days she leaked a bit, but nothing like the blowouts in Boston or at church! I had to remove her pants, but the onsie got away without a stain. Unfortunately, our first flight was on a small plane and there wasn't a changing table in the extra small bathroom, so I had to improvise using the toilet seat. I closed the lid and placed the changing pad on it. E fussed a little, I imagine because it wasn't the most comfortable spot, but she soon nestled into the Moby wrap off to dream land!


After boarding the second flight I was sure E would be hungry so I attempted to feed her, but she wanted nothing to do with it. She fell back asleep before take off. I tried to feed her a few more times throughout the flight, but each time she got angry and then fell back asleep. I think flying made her drowsy.

When we arrived in SLC, Parental Units Cynda and Steve picked us up. We had lunch, then Steve went to work and the girls took a nap. E woke up from her nap very unhappy, she finally realized she was beyond hungry!

Steve came home from work early because he had an allergy attack and had no medication at work. Cynda and I teased that he just wanted to spend more time with the baby and although that might have been true, soon I could tell that he really had been hit hard by the allergy bug.

E playing with an old rattle

For dinner we enjoyed Steve's yummy burgers and then headed over to the Taylor's to introduce E to some of her cousins and Aunt Liz and Uncle Zac. Matthew was pretty sad about not being able to see the reactions of our loved ones when they were first introduced to E so I tried to capture the moments for him. I don't think we realized how hard it would be for him stay home while we visited so many of our friends and family.


I didn't get a great photo of it unfortunately, but when E sat in Madeleine's lap she immediately lit up and gave her one of her biggest smiles!


Saturday morning we headed to the last soccer game of the season for James and Madeleine. James was goalie and did a great job! Madeleine's team was pretty small compared to the team they were up against, but they seemed to have fun anyway. Funny story: while Madeleine's team was warming up I overheard one of the girls on her team say to her mom, "Watch how far I can kick this ball." She then began to run from about midfield (their field was probably 200 feet long) and she kept running and running and running until about 5, maybe 10 feet from the goal and kicked the ball in. Steve and I started to laugh hysterically. There was a possibility that she was trying to kick a ball that was closer to her to begin with, but right before she got there another kid kicked it away, but I'd say that this story ended in just the right way!






After enjoying the games, Steve headed to work and Cynda, E and I headed to the grocery store to pick up a few items for our get together that evening. When we got back to the Bowen Homestead I realized that although I strapped E into her carseat, I failed to strap her carseat to the car! I am so accustomed to just popping it into the base I forgot to strap it down. I'm glad it was only a few blocks and nothing bad happened. And you can bet I was extra vigilant for the rest of the trip.

Grandma helping E clean up before meeting her guests!

That afternoon and evening we had the pleasure of having several of our friends and some family over to catch up and meet E! We had some yummy food and good laughs. I still don't feel like I had enough time with all of them. One of the biggest things I miss about Utah is our friends and family. Sometimes I wish I could just transport them to wherever I am.

Left: Julia introduce her son J to E.  Right: Anthony Woolf and Laura with E.

Cousin David and E

Matt Meldrum and E

Left: The Andersons and E.  Right: The Humphreys with me and E.

Kirsten and David with E 

Keyra, E and I

Left: Daniela and Ranfis with E.  Right: Daniela, E and I with Bean being a creeper!

The Quimbys and E

Left: The Passeys, E and I.  Right: The Linder-people with their newest member S.

Sunday was a pretty relaxing day. I went to church with the parental units and then the Taylors and Pete and Step joined us for dinner. After everyone left, the Parental Units and I stayed up and played a few favorite games including Ripple and Phase 10 Dice.

Meeting Uncle Pete and Aunt Steph

Spencer finally decided it would be okay to hold E

Monday morning Steve took Cynda in for her shoulder surgery so E and I hung out at the house and packed for our journey to Las Vegas. That afternoon when they returned I borrowed their motor vehicle to stop and visit a few graduate school friends as well as join the old Friendship Branch for FHE. It was especially nice to introduce E to all her "great grandparents."

E took over the entire bed

Left: Crystal and E.  Right: Jillian and E

Kelly and E

"Great Grandma" Gennevieve rocking E to sleep

Annette, Nancy, Mike, Dorothy (100 years old), Gennevieve, E, Frank and me

It was a wonderful time in Utah and as usual it didn't feel long enough and we didn't see enough of our friends or family. Tomorrow we head to Las Vegas!

No comments:

Post a Comment