Sunday, April 4, 2010

Solutions and Sweethearts

So this past week has been a crazy adventure indeed. Since our anniversary my leg (at first it was specifically my calf, but then it grew) has been hurting immensely. I went to the doctor on the 17th of March to get it checked out after a classmate, my professor and I thought that I might possibly have a Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT...aka blood clot) in my leg. I had an ultrasound and doppler performed on my leg from the hip down, but nothing was found and although I recalled no trauma my doctor concluded it must be a strain and said, "Stretch it, rest it...you know better than me what you should do." She said this because she knows I am in physical therapy school. It made me feel good that she has that confidence in physical therapists. Any who, so I went on my way, trying to decrease my pain with Ibuprofen and stretching and taking it easy. When we went to California with Matthew's parents it started to feel a little better in my calf, but my hip started to hurt. Needless to say the pain did not get better. Matthew felt very bad for me and did all he could to relieve my pain. This past Monday he even surprised me with a Redbox Family Home Evening. we watched "New Moon" and I think I saw Matthew welling up. (He said he wasn't, but I'm convinced Bella's love for Edward touched Matthew!) He is such a sweetheart. I know he cares about me because he does these small random things. I also know because he tells me stuff like "If your leg doesn't start feeling better in the next few days you have to go to the doctor again" and "I don't like to see you in pain."

When Tuesday rolled around and I wanted to cry because of the pain (Ibuprofen didn't help whatsoever...even though usually it does for me), I called my doctor and got an appointment for that Thursday. On Wednesday at work my leg was hurting real bad so I decided to stretch it and when I pulled my pants up to take a look at it I noticed that my leg had swollen up so bad that my ankle was replaced with the dreaded cankle. So with the swelling and tenderness and the discovery by a classmate that one leg was warmer than the other, I was already suspecting that a blood clot was there. Thursday my fear was confirmed after a second ultrasound and doppler that indeed a DVT was present. The Radiologist who diagnosed the DVT told me that he went back and looked at the first ultrasound and assured me that it was not there two weeks previous. (He was not the same radiologist who did the first ultrasound) Whether he told me this or not I believed that the DVT did not show up on the first ultrasound. I believed this because of the differences between my two ultrasound experiences. The first time I had one performed nothing hurt, even when the technician told me it might, on the other hand, in the second ultrasound it not only hurt when they pressed on my leg, it hurt just getting into the position required to perform it.

Well, needless to say, because I think most could imagine (even if they could not imagine me, but themselves in the situation) I was pretty freaked out. The whole time I was talking to my doctor and the nurse and the pharmacist giving me the drugs needed to begin fixing this problem, I was doing everything possible not to burst into tears. First the diagnosis, then the radiologist saying I shouldn't be walking, then my doctor telling me that I would need to give myself two shots in the stomach for 5 days and be on coumadin (a blood thinner) for 3 months, then paying for the very much so overly priced shots that I had to give myself (even though I only had to pay 25% of the cost of the drug), then the nurse trying to teach me how to give myself the shot, then having to go downstairs to the lab and get blood drawn, finally as I walked out the door to the the car I could release the valve. Fortunately I only live a block and a half away from the clinic and fortunately Matthew was home to give me a big hug and tell me that it would be alright, especially since not 15 minutes after I got home my doctor called me to tell me how bad the clot was and to tell me that if I had any shortness of breath or chest pain that I should call 911...scary! I woke up in the middle of the night that night with a small stitch in the side wondering if I needed to wake up Matthew to take me to the ER! Luckily besides the big hug and pep-talk, Matthew also gave me a blessing. The power of the priesthood and the love and comfort that the Lord can bring thru the Holy Ghost is a marvelous blessing. Even though I still had fears and worries the next morning, because of the assurance I received the night before, I was able to remain calm.

Friday night we had a lot to do, but I as in a ton of pain. Matthew offered to go over to a branch members home without me, but then I realized that I still needed to get my sister a bridal shower gift for the next day, so I decided to go with him. We went to Carls' house and gave him the pages I had typed up for him and then we headed to Smith's Marketplace for the perfect gift. When we got there we both had a mission; I would stay upstairs and find some sexy stuff for my sister, while Matthew went downstairs and got chocolate and sparkling cider. I was faster on my mission, so I met Matthew downstairs where he had yet to get the candy because he could not find the sparkling cider. I tried to help him, but I couldn't find it either. Finally we found an employee and he guided Matthew towards the cider while I went towards the candy. After picking up all the goods I went back to the car to sit while Matthew bought everything. He said the cashier thought the sexy something was really cute, which I thought was funny. After the store run we headed home to bed.

Saturday Matthew and I watched General Conference. Elisa came over too because one of Alex's old mission buddies had one extra ticket and invited Alex and since we live so close Elisa decided to join us. Alex then joined us for the second session. I have really enjoyed having Elisa closer. We don't see each other every weekend, but it is nice to be able to spend more time with her than I have the past few years. It has also been great to get to know Alex more over the past couple of months. He is a great guy and I can tell that he and Elisa make each other happy.

After the second session of conference we all jumped in our car and headed up to Ogden. While the boys were at the Priesthood session, Shaley, one of Elisa's best friends and I threw her a bridal shower. We had pizza, root beer floats and cookies and played some fun games like a wedding scrambler, how well do you really know each other, making veils out of toilet paper and wrapping Elisa up in a toilet paper wedding dress. I think she had a lot of fun. When the boys got back from conference we decided to watch "The Blind Side". We all thought it was an A+ movie...which means Matthew and I will probably eventually get it.

On Sunday Matthew and I watched the first session of conference at home and then headed over to his parents house for the second session. After the second session was over we had a wonderful waffle dinner and then celebrated Cynda's birthday with cookies and ice cream. I have to say that I love the way the Bowen's sing happy birthday. If I am correct it all started with Jen singing out of tune on purpose and now everybody does it. It sounds like dogs howling at the moon rather than singing. Some of the grandkids even cover their ears, but it's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment