Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Packed Weekend

On Friday night we decided to go on a Temple Date Night. Friday afternoon I picked up Matthew from work and we were able to make it to the 6pm session. It was a really good session. I could feel the spirit very strongly. There were a couple of couples going through for the first time and they made me smile and remember what a wonderful experience it was to go through with Matthew for the first time. It got me really excited for Elisa’s wedding. I have a hard decision to make though; my loving mom offered me her flying points so that I could get a free flight to Vegas from Pittsburgh for Bean’s wedding. I told my mom that I wanted the latest flight out on Thursday night because Bean is going through on Friday for her Endowment and I really would like to be there. Well, my mom look at the flights that are valid through her points and the latest flight out is at 7:30pm and my internship usually goes until then. My mom said the next flight out isn’t until 6am and that would put me in Vegas 20 minutes after the session begins. So now I have to decide if I want to once again ask my Clinical Instructor (CI) if I could change my schedule around before I even start, or I can just tell Elisa that I won’t make it for her Endowment, but I will be there for the Sealing on Saturday.

After the session was over, Matthew and I were going to go to dinner at some place cheap like Denny’s, but Matthew said he had passed a place on the way to work that he thought I would love and wanted to take me to it. I agreed and so we went to this tiny little restaurant called Vinto’s. It is a casual Italian pizza place and Matthew and I give it two thumbs waaay up, plus 5 stars. The appetizer we had we wonderful and could have fed 4, the pizza was original and the dessert was elegant! We would recommend it to anyone and plan on going again sometime soon.

On Saturday I worked on a few school things, like studying for my upcoming finals and looking at articles for my Doctoral Project. In the late morning Matthew got a text message addressed to me from a girl in the 11th ward. She said that she was looking for a baby sitter that night while she worked and that our friend Molly Hogan had suggested me. At first I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do it, but over the last couple of days I had felt the spirit so strong and came to many realizations about how when I am willing to take the Lord’s yoke, my life becomes easier to bear. After a short period of thinking, I felt that I needed to babysit. Tristann was a very cute little girl. And although she wasn’t too happy when her mom left for work, after a short period of time we became friends. Just as we were beginning to get comfortable with one another and about a half an hour before bedtime, Matthew showed up from running errands with our dinner. Unfortunately I think Tristann became uncomfortable and when I tried putting her to bed she cried and cried. I let her cry for about 20 minutes and then brought her back out, wrapped her in a blanket and held her in my arms. Within 2 minutes she was asleep, so I knew she was tired, but even with the slightest movement she would wake back up and she seem very concerned. Well, I knew I couldn’t do this all night so I called Molly and asked her if this had ever happened to her when she watched Tristann. Well, Molly gave me some good advice. She said that Tristann was probably just uncomfortable because her mom wasn’t around and suggested that I put her back in the crib. She said I could let her cry for up to 45 minutes before checking in on her again, si I put my trust in Molly and gave it a shot. At about the 43 minute mark Tristann stopped crying!

On Sunday the Branch had an Easter Program and Matthew gave a wonderful talk about Christ and the spirit felt in that meeting carried over to the relief Society meeting. I could feel the spirit so strong that when I noticed we would be finishing Relief Society early, I leaned over to Sister Sams and said that we should leave some time for the sisters to bear their testimonies, she agreed and announced it to the sisters. Not 30 seconds later I was up bearing my testimony.

Later that afternoon Matthew told me that one of the Sisters (Norma) stopped him after the meeting and told him that he gave a wonderful talk. She then said, “I think that one day you will be the President of the Church.” Matthew was taken back a bit by the comment and gave a little laugh and said, “Norma, why would you wish such a hard thing on me?” It was a cute little moment. We love serving in this branch. Of course there are always some challenges, but the brothers and sisters are trying so hard to do what is right and endure. I am grateful for the opportunity I have to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment