Friday, July 30, 2010

Day 7: Norway, MI

We woke up early this morning, said goodbye to Uncle Jeff and continued our trip north to Norway, Michigan to visit Grandma Rose. Matthew and I were both excited because I haven't seen my grandma since my 16th birthday and Matthew had never met her. On the trip up we had a few fun experiences. First, Mandy (the GPS) kept freaking out and redirecting our route when we were in the middle of nowhere on a two lane highway. We laughed pretty hard about it because Uncle Jeff was telling us about how they had just redone the roads, so we figured the relocation of the roads made Mandy think we were riding through fields. The other fun thing we found was on the side of the rode. As we were driving we saw a couple of signs that indicated there was a historical landmark ahead. We had plenty of time and decided it would be fun to pull off and see what the landmark was all about. It just so happened to be a landmark indicating that we were exactly halfway between the North Pole and the Equator. It was kind of cool.

When we finally got to Norway I wanted to stop at a gas station and get grandma some Squirt soda and gummy Life Savers, but we couldn't find either at the gas station. We had a great visit with grandma. We talked about where we had been on our trip and what our plans were for the rest of it. We also talked about how school was going and what our plans for the future were. When Matthew was bringing in our bags, all Grandma Rose could do was sing his praises. She thought he was wonderful and told me not to mess it up!


Around dinner time my Aunt Gina and cousin Toni stopped by and asked if we would like to join them for dinner at a local restaurant. Grandma wasn't interested, but told us to go. We enjoyed our meal and catching up. The only thing more I could have wanted from visiting my family was to have seen my other cousins, all of whom were infants or toddlers when I last saw them.

After dinner, Matthew and I went back to spend the night with Grandma. We stayed up pretty late watching her favorite TV shows and visiting. When we finally went to sleep Matthew and I snuggled on a single sized mattress, needless to say it wasn't the best nights sleep we have ever had, but it was nice to be with Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment