Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pastries, Art and Owls

We had visitors!!! And we got to explore/show them around the city!!! And we ate really good food!!! And it was the Andersons!!!

Matthew and I love Danielle and Cory. They are two of the people I miss the most from SLC, so we were very excited when Cory told us he and some classmates were coming up for some conferences and that Danielle was coming to join him so she could hang out with us for her last trip before Baby Boy Anderson arrives next month!

We picked up the Andersons from the airport on Friday night and we stayed up for a little while talking and catching up.

We started our Saturday by heading across the street to a local bakery called Fuji Bakery that Matthew and I have been wanting to try. We went a little crazy, but everything looked sooooooo good and it was!





After breakfast we headed to downtown Seattle to see some of the sites. We did most of the classic tourist sites including the Space Needle, the monorail, Pike Place Market and the pier. It was really fun to spend the day wandering around taking in all the different people, shops and quirks of Seattle. We made up several games to entertain ourselves including "Spot the Matthew" and we decided that if we visited enough times, Matthew and I could create a list of scavenger hunt items and have our future visitors try and find them as we showed them around. Matthew and I even added a member to our family! His name is Fredrick; he is an owl! (Okay he is an owl made of items from nature and I thought he would fit perfectly into my fall themed living room and he does!)





Some of the items we are considering for our scavenger hunt:


Where's Matt?


See the resemblance?

Yummy donuts!



 Me and Fredrick the Owl

We decided to have lunch at one of the restaurants on the pier and the clam chowder and bread bowls were good. After lunch we headed back to Pike Place and after a little more wandering back towards the monorail. On our way back to the monorail we happened upon a construction crew demolishing a building. I have never been that close to something like that and I have to say that it made me kind of sad to see something that people once worked so hard to create being tore down so easily. Before hopping onto the monorail we stopped in a few shops in the Westlake Center. While Cory and Danielle were distracted Matthew and I bought them a "wee" little baby gift. There were so many designs to choose from, but the "hot dogs" won the pee-pee teepee design contest.





The boys and their pee-pee teepee hats. Matt was worried his had been used.

Sunday morning I woke up to find Fredrick the Owl missing from the cubby hole I placed him in and he was replaced with a chica with ribbons on her hair. I knew that this could only be the work of Cory. I searched and searched and after some time of mocking Cory finally led me to the cage where Fredrick was being held.



 After church we took a little drive to the park on Mercer Island that is close to the pedestrian/bike path that is parallel to the I-90 bridge going across Lake Washington. After walking on top of the bridge for a bit we decided to take a path that led to under the bridge and explore a bit. It was a beautiful day and we got some fun and beautiful pictures.




For dinner Matthew and I decided that we had to make our yummy chicken enchiladas for theAndersons and they turned out perfectly except for one tiny detail that Matthew didn't inform anyone of until I noticed that the sauce looked much darker than usual...he burnt the spices that go into the sauce! Needless to say the enchiladas were ruined. They tasted like charcoal or at least what I imagine charcoal to taste like. Cory and I took one bite and opted for another dinner choice. I think that Danielle was so hungry because of baby boy Anderson that she ate one enchilada before giving up and Matthew ate at least two because he didn't want to waste the food. I finally convinced him that he had punished himself enough so he stopped eating them and threw away the rest. I was very sad, but it did make for a funny story!


On Monday morning we dropped Cory and Danielle off to do the Underground Tour with some of Cory's classmates. While they were doing the tour Matthew and I drove around downtown Seattle looking for random tourist attractions.

 L: Random popsicle in downtown Seattle. R: Waterfall Garden in Pioneer Square of downtown Seattle

For the rest of the Anderson's visit Cory spent most of his time in meetings while Matthew, Danielle and I wandered around Pioneer Square and Fremont.





Matthew and I had a great time with the Andersons and are so excited for them the have another family member soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment