Thursday, February 16, 2012

Memories

So this past week I was going through some boxes of memories and trinkets and I came across a journal jar that I was given as a young woman. One read, "Have I ever written a story, poem, or song I would like to add to my journal?" It just so happened that as I was going through the same box I found a poem that I wrote when I was in middle or high school about my brother and my thoughts, feelings and memories of the time surrounding his death.

Dark silence
broken by the torment
of an aching heart.

The cry
of a mother losing
her son,
a child she just held.

A father's strength and love
seem to fail
as he loses
a piece of himself.

Confusion
enters in, while
all peace is gone.

Swirling lights
get lost and then
found
by a small soul
desperate for help.

A sweet song
enters in, to comfort
the children
left behind.

Sorrow
fills the air
and I start to cry
as I find
the brother I love
is gone.

As we weep
over the loss,
we are reminded
by a child
that the spirit is with us.

Always.

1 comment:

  1. Kara, I was touched by your poem. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete