Sunday, June 6, 2010

Explorations

So the past 2 weeks I have been exploring the city of Pittsburgh and I have to say that it is a beautiful place!

Last weekend I decided that I would take a tour with a company called Just Ducky Tours. It is the only land and water tour in Pittsburgh. They use old military vehicles that were made to drive on the land and in the water. It was pretty cool and really interesting, plus I was given the opportunity to "drive", really it was more like steer, the boat while on the Ohio River! I soon discovered that even if I just spent my 10 weekends in Pittsburgh, I probably still wouldn't be able to see and do all that there is possible to see and do here, but I suppose you could say that about many big cities. It has helped me to appreciate Salt Lake and one of my goals when I get back is to do more to take advantage of all it has to offer.


After my explorations of the city were complete, I returned to my aunt and uncle's house and my aunt Kristi said that there was a sale at the mall that we had to get to. She said that she wanted to get me some clothes for my upcoming birthday, so off to Macy's we went. We picked out some cute clothes to try on and were off to the dressing rooms. Surprisingly a few pair of the pants that I first picked out fit me very well, which doesn't happen often. I was trying to determine which pair to get, when my aunt said that we were getting all of it. I wasn't sure about it because it was a lot of clothes, and Macy's isn't the cheapest of places, but my aunt insisted saying it was on sale. I was afraid to see the total, but was very surprised to see that it was under $50, later I found out that it was indeed a REALLY good sale. A flood of gratitude swept over me on the drive home. I think it was partially because I have been pretty bummed out about Matthew not getting a Seminary job and worrying about our future and, as always, having the money needed for all that we want to accomplish, but in my heart I knew in that moment that this was a blessing from the Lord.


So, my CI has been asking me questions about the church because she is reading a book for her book club about a woman who has left the church. It has been interesting to me while being here to be around so many people who really don't know much, if anything at all about the church. I have tried to approach it based on the basic beliefs and teachings of the church, but that is hard, because of this book she is reading. The book brings up things that I hold as sacred, but in my mind it tries to twist or exaggerate the truth or even, as far as I know, lie about my beliefs and practices. Luckily, my CI approaches it in a healthy way that makes me feel that she really just wants to understand and learn more about the church. I only hope that I can be a good example and follow the Lord's promptings, so that a good impact is left and maybe a tiny seed planted.

Friday I was determined to work hard and get things done so that I could spend my birthday on Saturday doing only things that included having fun and not thinking about school. With this strong determination I was able to accomplish my goal of reading and making tables for all of the articles I have found for my doctoral project. There is still a lot to be done, but I am happy with the progress I am making. After finishing that up, I took a break and watched a movie. After that I pulled out the book I have been typing for a gentleman in my branch and planned on working on it until my cousin Justin came to pick me up for an evening of dancing. When 9:30pm rolled around and Justin had not come over, I went to my phone and discovered that he had left a message saying that he would not be able to come over until 10:30pm, so I went back to the book for a little bit, whereupon I discovered that I was overcome with much sleepiness and so, alas I backed out of what I am sure would have been a spicy night of salsa dancing to sleep. I know it sounds a bit lame, but if only you could understand the many sleepless nights I have had since being here, you would have done the same, and besides, Saturday was to be filled with fun!


And so it was! For my birthday on Saturday, my aunt Kristi and I had a fun day planned. I found out from one of the therapists at my internship that Pittsburgh was going to try and break the world record for the number of canoes and kayaks connected by hands in a free-floating flotilla on a river for 30 seconds on my birthday and I decided that what could be better than trying to break a world record on your birthday! So Kristi, Justin and I set out to the Point, which is the point were the three rivers surrounding Pittsburgh (Allegheny, Ohio and Monongahela) meet. It was a fun adventure and at least in numbers, the people of Pittsburgh definitely broke the record, but the results of whether or not it was truly broken won't be announced by Guinness World Records for a few months. After attempting to break the world record, it began to pour down rain and even with rain coats on we were soaked to the bone. We decided that it would be best to go back to the house and change clothes and then go and get something to eat.



After changing, Kristi, Justin and his girlfriend Erin, and I all went out for some pizza at a pizza place in Oakmont called Veltre's Pizza. It was really good; we ordered a Mediterranean Chicken Pizza and a Fresh tomato, pepperoni and sausage pizza. After linner (yes I called it that) we went back to the house and watched the new "Alice in Wonderland" with Johnny Depp and Anne Hathaway. It was a good movie, even though it was not what I was expecting. The only other version of the movie I have seen is the cartoon one. I know it is based off of a book, but I am not sure how closely it follows it. I suppose that is a book that will go on my reading list!

After the movie and cake and ice cream, we (Justin, Erin, Aunt Kristi, Uncle Leeland and I) went to the Three Rivers Art Festival to see/hear the band Guster play. I liked the music, they have a cool sound, although I have to say that I was disappointed that they went half way through the concert without one hint profanity and then, only after I decided that I liked them, did they swear. Needless to say I did not buy their album. I may add a few of their songs to my playlist, but I don't want to buy a CD that I will only listen to half of the songs. While at the concert I did record a portion of their song "Satellite", mostly so Matthew could hear it. During a few of the songs I also realized how much I miss my Matthew. Being apart has helped me to appreciate him more. I am definitely excited to see him in a few weeks!

All in all it was a wonderful birthday! Oh, I have to tell you about what Matthew did for me. Friday was my day off this past week and in the early afternoon as I was working on my project, my aunt and uncle's phone rang. Well, I was the only one around, so I answered and on the other end was a woman from a flower shop. And when she asked for me, I was very surprised, as this was not my house! She was calling because she had some flowers for me, but was uncertain as to how she should get to my location. I gave her some directions and she said she would be here in an hour. After hanging up, I promptly called Matthew to thank him for the flowers. He asked if I liked them and then I told him I wasn't sure yet, which confused him for a moment. I then explained to him what had happened and he was disappointed that his surprise had been ruined, but I told him that it was still a surprise because I didn't know that he had done it! About an hour later the flowers showed up and they were beautiful! (There are a picture of the flowers with the picture of me blowing out the candles on my cake)

No comments:

Post a Comment