Sunday, October 30, 2011

Mayhem

At the end of September Matthew and I were checking out thrift stores for a set of dining roomchairs and whilewe were in one of the stores we noticed that they had a relatively large selection of Halloween costumes, so we spent a few minutes being silly and trying on a few of the masks and hats. There were a couple of items that caught my attention, including an old fashioned police hat, those silly glasses with a mustache attached and an adult sized bumble bee costume. I told Matthew that we should get them so that we would havecostumes early this year and not have to rush around the day of, trying to finish our costumes like we have every other year. Matthew proceeded to say that we had no need of costumes this year because we didn't have any plans for Halloween. I then said that we could maybe throw a costume party and he reminded me that we hardly have any furniture, so I rescinded and we left the store empty handed.


Of course, about a week or so later I received an email with an invitation to a Halloween party from a couple in our ward. Because of how busy we were, we didn't have much time to look for costumes, so the week before the party we went back to the thrift store hoping there were still some good costumes left. To our dismay, even though Halloween was still 7 days away, the store had put all the costumes away and were setting up Christmas items in their place. I was disappointed and to be honest a little put off. Why do retail stores in our country do this? Why do they start setting up shop for a holiday that is 2 months away when the nearest holiday hasn't even come yet and when there are still other holidays in between? What about those of us who aren't that organized or who like to give special attention to each holiday? Needless to say, another Halloween, another last minute costume idea! But I have to say I think this one was my best yet and I am so excited with how it turned out!


So I was racking my brain about what Matthew and I could possibly be and I brought this to the attention of a few of my coworkers. So for a couple days my coworkers and I discussed several costumes options, but I didn't come up with an idea until I saw one of many recently popular commercials for Allstate insurance. They have a man that represents all that could go wrong in this world, and his name is "Mayhem." The original play was that Matthew and I would each go as a different representation of Mayhem, but when I remembered that we had a church party to go to, I thought it would be inappropriate for me to dress up like a man. So, Matthew and I watched a few more videos and I got the idea that I could make a car out of cardboard and Matthew and I could go as the Mayhem- Blind Spot commercial. What was even better is that at the last minute I found a woman's wig that truly made Matthew look the part.


It took me all of Saturday afternoon to create the car, actually we were a little bit late to the party because I was still working on it. At the party we had a bunch of ghoulish goodies, played games and enjoyed getting to know each other better. We laughed while playing halloween charades and even harder when Alex guessed that Liz's drawing was a werewolf and not a floppy-eared mouse in less than 10 seconds. Overall it was a great night and I am excited to continuing hanging out with the younger couples in our ward. It feels good to be meeting more people who could become life long friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment