Thursday, August 11, 2011

Training

For a few weeks now I have been thinking about my desire to get back into the running scene. Growing up, running was a part of me. It was something that defined me and I loved it. My last year in high school I suffered from a few injuries, including a fracture in my foot, that reduced my ability to run and ever since I have had trouble getting back into it. I continued to run here and there throughout my undergraduate schooling, but when graduated school came, running screeched to a halt. Instead of taking breaks from studying and relieving some of the stress that PT school imposed, I spent long hours fueling my stress by worrying and attempting to stuff my brain full of more information.

Now that I have done away with all that studying nonsense and adjusted to working on my feet all day, I have decided (and Matthew is joining me) to begin training for a marathon! I have done some research about how beginners should go about it and have come up with a 26 week plan. Matthew and I have searched for marathons scheduled in the Seattle area that line up in our time frame and haven't found one yet, but there are plenty of other goals we can make and achieve along the way, like a 5K or 10K and even a half marathon. I am just really excited to be getting back into running. The schedule I have really helps me to feel that I can do it. It has a nice gradual introduction so that I am not so sore on day one that I will say "forget it". This weekend Matthew and I are going on a date in downtown Bellevue and we're going to buy ourselves some new running shoes...so excited.

2 comments:

  1. Kara, you are so darn cute! I miss you! best of luck with your new athletic adventure!

    Love you,
    JillGill

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome. I am excited for you. I can't believe Matt is going to join you, what a trooper. Best of luck. You are so going to kick my butt when we go running together.

    ReplyDelete