Sunday, May 23, 2010

Dancing Queen and Other Things


So, my first day at my internship went well. I only had a half day, so that was a nice start. For the most part the therapist I followed just tried to get me acquainted with the clinic I would be working at. He only works there once a week, so if I work on a Friday I will follow him. He also showed me little bits of the computer system I have to use to document. He said it will probably take me at least a month to really feel confident in navigating it...so that will be exciting! He also let me treat a few patients, it was especially fun when I was able to do mobilizations on them.

Friday night my cousin Justin took me out salsa dancing in the city! I had never been before, I mean I have learned a little bit of salsa dancing before, but not to this extent. Justin is a really good dancer and I can easily see why he is a teacher. He seems to be able to dance with people who are at so many different levels. Very impressed! The only unfortunate thing of the night was that I got so motion sick on the drive to the dance place that I had to have Justin pull over to the side of the road so that I could empty my stomach. It was a bit embarrassing and later I discovered that I had gotten a little bit on my shoes and pants, but Justin and his friend Erin were really nice about it.

Saturday I spent the morning and early afternoon doing laundry and working on my doctoral project. I also had plans to go and explore, but time got away from me. That evening my Aunt Kristi took me to the new movie "Robin Hood" with Russell Crow. It is more about how he became Robin Hood. I enjoyed it and afterwards we went to a restaurant called Panera Bread...very yummy!

Sunday I went with Kristi to choir practice and discovered that they were singing a song that I have sung before in sacrament meeting so I decided to join them. It is a very simple, lovely song called "Beautiful Savior". It was ward conference so Uncle Leland spoke. In Sunday School I learned something about the definition of missionary work that I have never thought of before although it makes complete sense. If we define missionary work as bringing souls to Jesus Christ then anything that I do to bring any soul unto Christ is missionary work, including when I am learning for myself. So as I study and grow in my knowledge of Christ, I am really doing missionary work for myself, which not only helps bring my soul to Christ, but helps to prepare me to better be able to bring others to him.


As far as my internship goes...the beginning of this week was pretty tough. My clinical instructor (CI) was still on vacation and so I was with an "as needed" therapist. She was great, but the PTA who works there was not so nice...when I left on Monday I was crying....she was just so mean and I didn't understand why, then when I got home I realized that I was home alone because my aunt and uncle were working the night shift. So, I had a bad day, I was all alone, I really wanted a pizza, but I didn't know where to go to find one and was worried I would get lost in the process. Needless to say I just went to bed and hoped that the next day would be better. And it was and so was the next and the next. I met my CI on Thursday and I think it will be challenging but good. I only wish there were more hours in the day that I wasn't tired, working, or doing school work, but hopefully I can get settled soon, so that I have time and energy to site see.

On Thursday after my internship I called Justin and told him that I was in great need of pizza, so he gave me directions to his side of town and met me at a tiny pizza place just a few blocks from his house. After picking up the pizza and "wedgy" we went over to his place to eat and watch a movie. We ended up just talking, but it was great! So this Wedgy thing is basically like a pizza folded in half. I never really got an explanation of it, but it doesn't really matter because it was gooooood! It was a steak wedgy...can you imagine if you had a steak wedgy?!?

Friday I spent the day working on my doctoral project. I organized and found a few more articles that I think will be applicable. I plan on trying to have the majority if not all the articles read by Tuesday...wish me luck with that. That night I went out with Justin and Erin again. We were planning to go play some pool at this arcade place, but by the time we got there they were closing, so we came back to my aunt and uncle's house and talked while enjoying a mug (coffee cup) of ice cream!


Saturday I was planning to get things done in the morning to prepare me for Monday at my internship and then spend some time exploring and taking pictures, but by the time I got things done, it was raining outside...and not like it rains in Utah...it was pouring! Later that night I watched a movie with my aunt, her brother and his son while waiting for Justin to pick me up so we could go out dancing. This time we went to a line dancing place. I went expecting to know a lot of the dances, but discovered that I only knew a few, but that was okay because Justin put his dancing skills into action and we did some variations of his expert dancing to country music. I commented how I thought it was kinda funny that once he put the dance to country music I picked it up faster than I had the previous weekend. It was a lot of fun! After dancing we got to talking and didn't get to bed until 2 in the morning...I am surprised I haven't crashed, but I'm sure it will come.

Today after church I decided that it would be a good time to go out into the nature surrounding me and get some photos. My Uncle Leland took me to a park near one of the bridges closest to where I am staying and I think we got some pretty good shots! It is definitely beautiful here!

My aunt and uncle are great and I am grateful for their hospitality...I thought I might have a good shot at losing a little weight while here since I don't have Matthew around. I figured I would fill that extra time with working out, but with the way my aunt cooks, I will be lucky not to gain more weight!

No comments:

Post a Comment